Government Agencies

Federal payments are made by a number of different government agencies. If you have a specific question about a payment, need to report a change of address, a death or make any other update to a recipient's information, you should contact the agency that makes the payment.

Agency Customer Service

Recipients of a Federal benefit, wage, salary or retirement payment can contact the appropriate Federal agency to receive more information regarding electronic payments.

You may click on the agency listed below or scroll down for more information.

For all other types of federal benefit payments, please contact the respective paying agency directly for information about changing your direct deposit.

Social Security Administration (SS and SSI)

For recipients receiving:

  • Social Security
  • Supplemental Security Income

Contact the SSA by calling 1 (800) SSA-1213 (1-800-772-1213).

Social Security's toll-free number operates from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Friday. If you have a touch-tone phone, recorded information and services are available 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays. People who are deaf or hard of hearing may call SSA toll-free TTY number, 1 (800) 325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on Monday through Friday. Please have your Social Security number available when you call.


The Social Security Administration provides a secure Web environment where you may change your direct deposit information. Through their site, you may change your current direct deposit to another account or financial institution. To utilize this service, you must establish a password at the Social Security site. Or you can visit the Social Security site.

Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

For recipients receiving:

  • VA Compensation
  • VA Pension
  • VA Education
  • VA Insurance

Veterans Compensation, Pension and Education (MGIB) recipients already receiving benefits may contact the VA by calling 1 (877) 838-2778, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:50 p.m. Central Time or contact them online at Department of Veterans Affairs web site.

Office of Personnel Management/Civil Service (OPM)

For recipients receiving:

  • Civil Service Annuities
  • Civil Service Retirement
  • Civil Service Survivor Annuities

Retirees, annuitants, and survivor annuitants already receiving benefits may contact the OPM by calling 1 (888) 767-6738 or contact them online at U.S. Office of Personnel Management web site.

Railroad Retirement Board (RRB)

Recipients already receiving Railroad Retirement (RRB) benefits may contact the Railroad Retirement Board office at 1 (877) 772-5772 or contact them online at Railroad Retirement Board wed site.

Department of Labor (DOL)

For recipients receiving:

  • Black Lung

A toll-free number has been designated for each of the nine Division of Coal Mine Workers' Compensation district offices. Visit the Department of Labor web site for a list of district offices and their phone numbers.

Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS)

Military salary recipients please contact DFAS/Military Customer Service at 1 (800) 321-1080 or visiting Defense Finance and Accounting Service web site.

Or call the agency making your salary, wage, benefit or retirement payment, if different from the agencies listed above. is the U.S. government's official web portal to all federal, state and local government web resources and services. As the catalyst for a growing electronic government, helps citizens navigate through government red tape. At, you can apply for benefits online, contact a government agency, or use the Internet's most comprehensive search of government websites-all from one easy location.